Saturday, January 12, 2008

Chapter VI: The Proposal

Before beginning this chapter, I wanted to first thank those who are still following my blog. Hundreds of people from more than 20 different countries have visited the blog and even recently the blog won its first award ! THANKS !

One of the upcoming chapters I want it to be from people that want to share their stories & anecdotes of the events that occurred that April of 2002. If you would like to share your story, just send me an email to: myweddingday2007@gmail.com




Some breaks will last hours, some days, even months. Our break was a little longer than usual: two years ! It is so true when the say "You don't know what you have until you don't", but I guess I was lucky enough to have it back again.

I still remember that very special day, the day we gave ourselves another chance. Very few people have the opportunity to have their dreams come true. I once had it, I lost it and for some incredible reason, destiny perhaps, that special night happened.


I remember it as if it was yesterday. I took her to a very special restaurant, with an amazing patio and the most incredible lights surrounding it. I will never forget her words when I asked the question if she wanted us to be one again: Actually, I don't have the nerve to write it. I will let Carolina decide if she wants to share it or not. She was never really proud with her answer and I used to bug her with it (never was to happy about it), but at the end of the day, doesn't really matter what she said. The one thing that only matters is that her answer brought us to where we are today.

Another year had passed and plans of getting married were sometimes a topic of conversation, as we were waiting for our Canadian papers to go thru. I always thought I was going to still have that outbreaking surprise moment when I proposed her out of the blue, but I guess it was never meant to happen that way.

As I mentioned in Chapter I, things went a bit different. It was a Monday afternoon and I was supposed to pick-up Carolina from her work and drive to my parents for our every Monday night dinner. However, that day, she called me earlier than usual and starts bombarding me with questions: "At what time are you picking me up? do you have any plans for afterwards?, can you leave work earlier?". I answered every single question the way any well "trained" boyfriend would do, except that I forgot the silver rule: never ask the Why's. It slipped my mind and with no brain filter I asked her: "Why are you asking me these questions if you know we have dinner tonight with my parents"


That is when she would have KO any experienced husband, boyfriend, significant other, etc with her answer:
- "I was thinking that we should drop by the church near your place before going to your parents"...

And as if I never learned,I asked again "WHY?!"

- "Rey, we need to go and find out when we can get a day reserved for the church, for our wedding. You know how difficult it is to get a date”

And that was it, still in shock we went to the church near my place and the gave us a date: April 13th, 2002. How little we knew the troubles of that day. Anyway, and without having the fact that we already have date to get married bothered me, I still went with my plan to surprise her when I "pop the question". So I took her for a romantic weekend to Valencia, had dinner in this very special restaurant and asked her: "would like to marry me?"

Thankfully she said "Yes" !

No comments:

 
Weddings Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Flux Directory Blog Search Engine Blog Directory My Zimbio