Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Chapter IV: Crossroads


After having that ever first sweet kiss, after having finally a REAL girlfriend, how little I knew about broken hearts. Thinking that my Bajan romance had a hard core ending, how naive I was. After dating her for 3 months, I had one of my biggest dreams come true: go to Europe to become a Professional Squash Player.

It didn't took me long to find out that I started my squash career a bit to late. As some people might say, is the journey that is important, and what a great journey it was. Traveling in Europe, playing squash and most importantly: in love !

I was always thinking of her, to the point that I would not leave the house until the mailman arrived. Most of the times he didn't bring any good news, even though I wrote her every week. Internet & email did not exist at that time, phone calls were so expensive and faxes were not of easy access and very expensive too. I had to rely in the Royal Mail and her desire to write me any news. I think I received 3 letters from her during that time, but I was still in love with her. How could I not be?

Right after 9 months I went back home: not as a professional Squash player, but at least a much better one, ready to start my 1st semester of Industrial Engineer and without a girlfriend. As soon as I came back, I confirmed the rumors that she was dating someone else. SIX MONTHS ! just thinking of her. Thanks to some rumors I heard and the advice of some good & wise old men, I moved on. Ready to romance every single girl in Liege & Swindon. Many unsuccessful attempts except for one: she doubled my age and needless to say she was gorgeous. No matter how hard I try to remember her name, I just simply can't remember it; but once in a while I can still smell her sweet perfume. (Hope my wife will miss this chapter =)

The next 18 months were as hard as it gets: University + Engineering. Out of 5 courses in my first semester, I had the top 3 professors. Not top 3 as the best ones, but as the most $@&!!! Just imagine that in one of the courses, a classroom of 60 students only 4 passed !!! (I was not one of them)

Been that difficult made my next decision even easier. Near end of the year, the South American Squash tour had a stop in Caracas. Going back in time, I must say that it was one of the most important events that happened in my life; as some might say: THE crossroad. My whole life changed after that tournament.

I went to the club that was hosting the tournament and as I was walking to the squash courts, there she was: a very beautiful woman playing some fine squash. I was attracted initially by her squash skills, she was really good. The days passed and just like that Cupid that strikes you without warning, I fell under a spell that cost me a year of University, many gray hairs to my parents and it could had cost me even more, which luckily I can now tell the story with a spin of humor.

The week after the tournament ended, we were travelling to Guayaquil for the next stop of the tour. Her home country. Must say that squash & love were at their best. Finished 4th in the tournament and I even stayed an extra week in Quito with her. When I went back to Caracas there was no chance to recover the 2 weeks lost at the University. I basically lost the whole semester. Too many exams and to much to catch up with before the final terms, so I decided to quit Engineering and start studying Business & Administration the next summer. In the meantime, back to the squash road. Just after New Year I saw her again in Peru. After the tournament was over and she left, I stayed another 3 weeks, enjoying the Peruvian Summer, hot chicks, freaking cold ocean and the Delicious "cebiche"

My return ticket was from Lima to Caracas with a stop in Guayaquil. When we landed in Guayaquil, just a 1 hour stop, that spell (I need to blame it to someone or something) made me get off the plane. Got my bags off the plane knowing that I did not had enough cash to buy another ticket to go back home and I was ready to make a life in Quito with my love. Called her right from the airport as my plane was leaving, told her I was in Guayaquil, ready to catch a bus to Quito to meet her, when she said: "Nice to hear from you and I am glad you are in Guayaquil. Don't bother coming to Quito, I just came back with my old boyfriend, future fiance"

I knew then I could do ANYTHING for love, I just needed to choose the right one. I stayed in Ecuador for almost 7 months. I did very well: made some money teaching and playing squash, got in & out of trouble more frequently that wished for, and I even saw her several times in different tournaments.... and before those who wants to ask me: yes, she still leaves and must say she is happily married (with another guy I think)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola.. vas a escribir durante la semana de Navidad? o vas a hacer como todas las series que hacen break?

 
Weddings Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Flux Directory Blog Search Engine Blog Directory My Zimbio